Wednesday 6 March 2013

TASK THREE: CHOICES: LOGO DESIGN FOR WEB


At one stage I was considering using a string of logo based commissions as one of my choices for the more profession side to this module. After some considerations and a discusion Phil (my tutor)
I came to the realisation that the types of commissions I was getting although satisfying the professional side to the brief, would not not give me enough freedom on the creative side.

I did finish the commissions however and thought them to be acceptable to put amongst the work/research I have done for this module. 

Both commissions were for a were for company website with different visions and representations required. The First commission was for a Online T.V website called 'Gorilla Ambush'. They sent me a piece of their existing logo (below) and told me that they want it revamped. They said to modle the new design on the old one with a few specific changes. They asked me to change the colours, and make them more realistic. I was also asked to take out the cigar and and a few new elements. 





They said to put a cam-corder on the gorillas back/shoulder as well. After all this information had been ascertained I went to work doing some quick rough sketches. After the 'roughs' got the go ahead I started creating the final design in photoshop. I used the expression from the first image but made all the necessary adjustments.





I wanted to give the gorilla a bit more character so I gave him a leather jacket with some bold metal buttons. I had to submit the design a couple of times because the client wanted a few more small changes;which proved a little time consuming in the end. After I, and the client were happy with the image I bought a stock text from a website and made a few alterations to make it more suitable. Below is an image of the finalised logo with text. Overall a challenging commission but an enjoyable one. 





The second commission sounded more complicated but ended up being easier than the first one. The commission was for a used car dealership in the United States (interesting!). Basically the company 'Cyber Dealer' wanted a logo that said future sales and new but second hand. I had a look at their website and found one of the more 'flashy' models of car they sell and did a rough sketch of the car with some future-style text above it and some horizontal lines behind it. 





The loved the first sketch I sent them and said to develop it, but made mention to change the text, and make it more futuristic and modern. They also asked for a gradient behind the image. I drew the image by hand, which took a long time but came out great, I then placed the image in Photoshop and cleaned up the shading so It looked more neat and clean. After that I added a text in a similar fashion to the first commission. I then simply created a few simple shapes and the lines behind the car and I was done.

This commission took a lot less time than the commission for 'Gorilla Ambush' but also paid about half as much. After doing both of the commissions I was 50/50 about using them as a part of this module, as one gave me a reasonable amount of freedom while the other was very ridged. In the ended I made the choice to pursue a more artistic commission in the form of Album related artwork.  






No comments:

Post a Comment