Wednesday 20 February 2013

TASK ONE: 'JOHN WILLIAMS' BY GABRIEL MORENO FOR WALL STREET JOURNAL '12





This creative illustration by the talented Gabriel Moreno of the famous film composer John William was a commission for the Wall Street Journal in December of 2012. This commission would fall under the category of editorial illustration with other themes such as film and music involved. 

I would love to work with this client but due to the highly elitist nature of the client I don't consider it to be an option for the near future, hopefully in several years time I will get to work for such a client. I find the illustration particularly inspiring, from the subject matter to the style and the colour palet. I like the way the artist has incorporated four small illustrations from iconic scenes in the movies from which the composer has made the musical score. In addition to the two portrait-like illustrations of the composer Gabriel has includes reference form Indiana Jones: The Temple Of Doom', Two of the the 3 Star Wars movies, 'E.T the Extra Terrestrial' and one of his more recent pictures 'War Horse'. My only critical comment iss that He has incorporated two star wars images when there are a plethora of other iconic film that John williams did the score for. 'Jaws', 'Jurassic park, 'Hook' and 'Empire of the Sun' come to mind. Perhaps he is a 'Star Wars' fan.

The audience for the 'Wall Street Journal' is not a one that i typically think off when I consider my own work. It bis more of an older, professional and business orientated clientele that read this magazine. having said that, It is the most widely circulated magazine in the United States and with that comes  huge exposure. Like lots of Moreno's work I find this piece Aesthetically outstanding. Composition has obviously been painstakingly considered in the drafting stage of this piece. The work is within my comfort zone but It is of a very high standard and I expect My work to develop for some time before I can produce illustrations of a similar calliper.  The work is slightly unique as It fuses two connected things into one single illustration, but i wouldn't say the work is unusual. 






No comments:

Post a Comment