Tuesday 26 February 2013

TASK ONE: Jacqui Oakley LP Commission (Two Crown King)



This commission is for the rock band 'Two Crown King' By Illustrator Jacqui Oakley in July of 2011.





The process involved an initial pencil drawing and then acrylic painting over the top (using experimental shapes and colours.



After the acrylic paint he did some inking that brought out the textures you can see in these photographs.








Designer Jamie Poly assisted the production by using the lion design shape and applying it to
the inside labels and inner sleeve of the LP gatefold.




























This commission really caught my eye, as I recently did something similar, but on a much smaller scale.  I have done two pieces of artwork for an album in the last few months, one for the LP and one for the CD release. I chose this example because I have a very keen interest in doing more music album related projects.

The process I used for my own LP and CD commission was a little different but along the same lines as this. Unlike this example I was given general instructions to follow on both two commissions. The first CD cover commission I spent a lot more time with precesses and experimentation so that when the band asked my to do a separate commission for the same album i already new the material and style of the band and the type of artwork/design that they would require.

The first commission i used a very hands on approach (much like the artist has in this design, in the second commission I send just one mock-ip illustration done purely in photoshop, and then a final version after that that just needed a slight tweak.

 I enjoyed the communication process in both instances of swapping emails with the leader of the band to make sure everything was as they wanted. I also really enjoyed submersing myself in the music of the band and have a good time researching their website, influences, ect.

I believe the more of these commissions i get the more I will be able to refine my style and improve in my professionalism.



No comments:

Post a Comment